Photo credit: Marie-Charlotte Pezé (2015)
b. 1980, USA
Katherine Oktober Matthews is an American artist, analyst and journalist based in Amsterdam. With a university degree in psychology and a work background in IT, she works at the confluence of technology, psychology and expression. Her projects cross and combine media, primarily writing, photography and moving pictures. She is motivated by ideas and emotions rooted in existential seeking: the pursuit of an understanding of what it means to be alive, simultaneously as a discrete individual and as part of multiple (inter-)connected systems.
- GUP Magazine (2011 – present)
Contributing writer since June 2011, Online Editor from July 2012 – Oct 2014, Chief Editor from Nov 2014 – Jan 2018. Publications include articles, interviews and artistic criticism in the field of conceptual art photography, both print and online. Additionally as Chief Editor, responsible for defining the content of the quarterly print publication, from GUP#44 until GUP#56. Read more
- I Love Animals (Self-published, 2017)
A self-published photobook produced in an edition of 500 copies. Shortlisted for the Arles Photo Book Award 2017. Read more
- Elsewhere (Leaping Man, Forthcoming 2018)
A photo|personal essay book, combining text and images. Read more
Additionally, her text and images have been published in numerous books (including Toy Tokyo, Amsterdam… The Essence, NEW Dutch Photography 2012), journals (VLAK, Analog Journal, KNiK), print magazines/newspapers (AmsterDO, TimeOut Amsterdam) and online (Slate, John Adams Institute, New Dawn, TEDxAmsterdam, Versal Blog).
She is the founder of the platform Riding the Dragon, a resource for artists on the challenges of their endeavour.Selected Bibliography
- 2017-01 Lecture at Fachhochschule Dortmund (on Vimeo) at their symposium "Between Realities".
- 2016-06 Interview with Life Framer (online) on judging their international photography contest themed "Open Call".
- 2014-11 Interview with Life Framer (online) on judging their international photography contest themed "Urban Life".
- 2014-09 Interview with TEDxAmsterdam (online) on The Ocean Cleanup photography project.
- 2014-07 Interview for Toy Tokyo (PDF) about shooting with toy cameras.
Katherine Oktober Matthews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
// Please, do not add me to your newsletter or mailing list!